As the weather switches back and forth from sunny to rainy, you might be casting your mind ahead to spring and plans to develop your balcony or yard and redecorate your home. From February 20 – 24, 2013, you can catch up on the latest trends in home and garden design at the BC Home and Garden Show. (If you would like to enter for the chance to receive four admission tickets, please refer to details at the end of this page.)
Some of the featured HGTV presenters at the show will include Bryan Baeumler of Leave it to Bryan; Paul Lafrance of Decked Out and Vancouver’s Sarah Daniels and Philip DuMoulin of Urban Suburban. There will also be 425 retail exhibiters; new features to check out; a winter blooms flower market; a curated affordable art exhibit; a pop-up version of the Portobello West fashion and art market; a Dream Home inspired by East Vancouver bungalows; and, 7,000 square feet of gardens representing eight garden landscapes from around the world.
If you don’t want to leave the show to go and eat, you will be able to find food on-site, including bacon-wrapped hotdogs and real Canadian poutine.
Here is more information about the opening night and Family day:
OPENING NIGHT: Wednesday, February 20, 4 PM – 9 PM, presented by Virgin 953:
An evening tailored to designing women.
Home Cooking Stage:
• SHAW Cooking with Fire Chili Cook-off, featuring the kitchen talents of firefighters from across the Lower Mainland.
• Ladies-only beer tasting seminar, presented by Just Here for the Beer.
• Female-friendly social media giveaways, free swag bags for the first 100 show-goers and surprises.
FAMILY DAY: February 21, 12 PM – 5 PM, presented by Dominion Lending Centres:
• food sampling from Growing Chefs
• face painting and jewellery making courtesy of faceabaloonza
• drawing on the walls with chalk
• practicing gardening skills
• crafts from VancouverMom.ca.
• soft turf area where children can relax
Home Cooking Stage:
• Chef Ned Bell and son Max, Cooking Fun with Your Little Ones
• Growing Chefs, Healthy Kids in the Kitchen
• The World in a Garden, Eat More Kale!
Vancouver Sun Gardener’s School:
• Gardening expert Steve Whysall, Gardening for Kids
• Joan Vyner Easier Gardening with Arthritis
• Park Royal Spring Fun 4 Kids Fashion Show
• Decorator Christine Friend, Family Friendly Design
• Denise Wild, Decorating with Fabric: Family Edition
• Jennifer Scott & Megan Baker, How to Personalize the Top Trends of 2013 For Your Own Space
• Philip DuMoulin & Sarah Daniels, Urban vs. Suburban — The Pros & Cons
• Sarah Gallop, Small Spaces: Working with What You’ve Got
If you would like to enter for a chance to win four admission tickets (worth $60) for the show to be used on any day between February 20 – 24, 2013, here’s how:
• Required: leave a comment below saying that you’d like to enter (one entry) Your comment must be left on the BCFamily.ca site below this posting, not the BCFamily.ca Facebook page.
• One additional entry: share the name of your favourite public garden (or private garden open to the public) in your comment.
• Two additional entries: Do you follow BCFamily.ca on Facebook? If you do, mention this in your comment. (This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook.)
Valid entries will need to include an E-mail address with the comment so that you can be contacted if you win. It will not appear in the posted comment. This information will not be stored in a data base and will only be used in the event that you win.
The selected winner will be contacted by E-mail. If the winner has not replied in 12 hours, a follow-up E-mail will be sent. If the winner does not reply to the E-mail and claim the prize within 24 hours, another winner will be chosen.
This giveaway is open to people living in the Lower Mainland (Greater Vancouver) area.The winner will need to provide a street mailing address so that the tickets can be mailed via Canada Post.
This giveaway will close on Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 10 PM.
Disclosure: Complimentary tickets for the show were provided to BCFamily.ca. It is the responsibility of the event sponsor to honour the use of the tickets provided.
2-1 Entry Promotion and related article at VancouverMom.ca
There are a dozen contests related to the show listed on the official website.