If you and your children are keen on art and creative activities, there will be a prime opportunity this weekend, June 16 & 17, 2012 to visit the Vancouver Art Gallery and take part in their Family Fuse event.
On June 14 and 15th, 2012 there will be a giveaway notice on the BCFamily.ca Facebook page including a FUSE Family pass with two adult tickets and tickets for up to four children. If you would like to be considered for the giveaway please leave a comment on the BC Family Facebook webpage by 12 Noon, Friday, June 15th. A person will be chosen at random and contacted via his/her Facebook account. If your profile doesn’t have a message button for non-contacts, please leave an E-mail address in the comments. (If you are unreachable by 4 PM, another name will be confirmed.)
If you have friends with children who would like to visit, do let them know!
Throughout the day your family will be able to tour the art gallery and take part in events that are directly related to the artwork on display, with an additional focus on music, theatre and dance. The current exhibition entitled Collecting Matisse and Modern Masters presents works from the art collection of the Cone sisters of Baltimore who befriend Henri Matisse and collected many of the top art pieces of the day – including Impressionist works.
Here is information about the events, provided by the Vancouver Art Gallery:
FAMILY FUSE WEEKEND Schedule for Saturday and Sunday:
1. Travel Journal (10:00am-4:00pm): Before you go into the gallery, create you own travel journal where you can keep notes and draw picture about your visit to the gallery today.
2. Drawing “En plein air”, Outside Robson Street Doors (10:30am- 4:00pm): Artists Matisse and Picasso took time to paint and draw in the open air in order to capture changing scenes and light. Join artist and educator Jessica Jang in this creative activity.
3. Travel through Strings, 1st Floor Rotunda (10:30am and 11:30am (Sat); 2:30pm and 3:30pm (Sun) ): Listen and learn from string music ensemble Infinitus as they take you on a journey through the world of music, including classic rock, hip–hop and TV theme songs. If there is something you’d like to hear, just ask – they also take requests!
4. Bhangra Dance Performance- South Asian Arts Society
1st Floor rotunda
12:00pm, 1:00pm and 3:00pm
Come watch a performance of this high-energy, infectious dance style! Members of the South Asian Arts Society competitive teams give you a taste of the Bhangra flavour!
5. Bhangra Dance & Music Workshop – South Asian Arts Society, Room 302 annex (1:30pm): Join in this South Asian Arts’ hands-on dance and music workshop and learn the hard-hitting beats and energy found in the dance style called Bhangra. Learn basic Bhangra dance steps, play the dhol drum and sing Punjabi songs together.
6. What really happened in the woods that day?, 1st Floor rotunda (12:30pm and 2:00pm): See Kim and Dean tell the classic tale Hansel and Gretel with their own special flair.
7. Wish you were here!, 3rd Floor Rotunda (10.00am-4.30pm) Design a postcard based on your visit to the Gallery and then have it mailed!
8. Sketch Station, 3rd Floor Gallery (10.30 am-4.30pm): Find art educator Kate Dawson in the Gallery and join her in making sketches and drawings inspired by the artist in the Again and Again and Again exhibition.
9. Art Agents, 4th Floor Galleries (10:00am – 4:00pm): Explore the exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence with our Art Agents. See how these different artists share their experience of travel.
10. A Journey in Shadow, 4th Floor East (10.30-4.00pm): Join Montreal-based Mere Phantoms to the city of your wildest imagination. Build a 3D shadow puppet to add to the collaborative installation, use handheld lights to cast shadows large and small, and venture on A Journey in Shadow.
11. Making Place, 4th Floor – Pavilion (10.30-4.00pm): Experiment with a range of materials and techniques, make a map of an imaginary place, craft a collage exploring pattern and texture, and work with others to make a drawing of space.
12. Family Film Lounge- Programmed by Reel 2 Real International Film Festival for Youth, 1st floor (10:00-4:30pm): Take a break and relax in our film lounge. Eat your lunch or a snack while watching a selection of animated and live action films.
Gallery Members and children age–12–and–under are free when accompanied by an adult. Regular Admission Rates apply. $20 Adults, $15 Senior (65+), $15 Student (with valid ID). For more information about Family FUSE Weekend call 604.662.4700.
(All prices subject to a 12% Harmonized Sales Tax)
We’d love to hear from you so don’t be shy! You can comment about this posting using the comment function below or visit us at our Facebook page.
Two Sisters, by Marcia Talley* is available as a Kindle Book and would be a great short story to read before visiting the exhibition.
* BCFamily.ca is a member of the Amazon Associates programme.